Republican Congresswoman Michele Bachmann issued a video early on Wednesday morning notifying the public she won’t be seeking re-election to her Minnesota congressional seat in 2014. Bachmann said her decision had nothing to do with concerns over winning re-election or over an ongoing congressional ethics inquiry into alleged improper transfer of campaign funds stemming from her bid for president in 2012, but rather a personal conviction that 8 years is long enough for a person to serve in congress:
“Looking forward, after the completion of my term, my future is full, it is limitless, and my passions for America will remain. I’ve always, in the past, defeated candidates who were capable, qualified, and well-funded. And I have every confidence that if I ran, I would again defeat the individual who I defeated last year, who recently announced that he is once again running. This decision was not impacted in any way by the recent inquiries into the activities of my former presidential campaign or my former presidential staff. It was clearly understood that compliance with all rules and regulations was an absolute necessity for my presidential campaign. And I have no reason to believe that that was not the case. I promise you I have and I will continue to fight to protect innocent human life, traditional marriage, family values, religious liberty, and academic excellence,” Bachmann said.