SPLC Study: Conspiracy-Minded Antigovernment “Patriot Groups” on the Rise
The Southern Poverty Law Center has released a report which makes the previous DHS and West Point reports on radical right-wing extremism pale in comparison. This latest study by the SPLC is extremely political in it’s verbiage and directly attacks many “Patriot” themed groups which are well known to practice peaceful dissent of a government which many agree has grown too large too quickly. The harsh summary states that “the Patriot movement generally believes that the federal government is conspiring to take Americans’ guns and destroy their liberties as it paves the way for a global “one-world government.” The study defines patriot groups as: anti-government militias driven by their fear that authorities will strip them of their guns and liberties.
According to the “intelligence report” from the SPLC these “Patriot groups” are upset because a pro-NWO African American became president and is now threatening to impose strict gun control measures, drawing similarity to former president Bill Clinton’s 1993 Brady Bill and his 1994 ban on assault weapons – “along with what was seen by the right as the federal government’s violent suppression of political dissidents at Waco, Texas, and Ruby Ridge, Idaho, in the early 1990s, led to the first wave of the Patriot movement that burst into public consciousness with the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing,” – which comes extremely close to implicating all patriot groups, regardless of their views and philosophies, into that domestic terror attack which left 168 men, women and children dead in 1995. Ironically the Department of Homeland Security‘s 2009 report also included reference to the Oklahoma City Bombing – but contradicts this latest report by asserting that “right-wing radical groups” actually decreased in number following the OCB due to the obvious distaste left following that incident, and at one point even began gauging the bombings “effectiveness at quelling dissent.”
This latest SPLC Hate & Extremism study heavily implicates racism as a factor for the rise in radical patriot groups:
…and subtly blends racism with gun control as some sort of combined reason for the surge in anti-government groups:
So exactly who is this report implicating? From the report:
Others who the SPLC thought were “Patriot group” worthy-enough to include:
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) - Rep. Trey Radel (R-Fla.) - State lawmakers in Arizona, Mississippi, South Carolina and Tennessee who proposed laws that sought to prevent federal gun control from applying to their states - Richard Mack – Matt Barber – The Liberty Counsel - Fox News Radio host Todd Starnes – The Tea Party - ConservativeDaily.com’s Tony Adkins - The Conservative Monster - Chuck Baldwin, a Montana-based Patriot leader long associated with the Constitution Party - Daniel Miller, president of the secessionist Texas National Movement - The American Family Association - Peter LaBarbera of Americans for Truth About Homosexuality - the John Birch Society – and the United States Patriots Union.
Perhaps the most telling sign that this entire report was written by a member of the “radical left” is the following assertion which proves without a doubt that the author is either writing from a purely partisan standpoint or missed his last few doses of medication:
The report goes on to blame the far right for destroying ACORN – which it claims was a community organizing group (somewhere, there’s a community organizing group missing it’s community organizer idiot leader) and that ACORN should actually be credited with robbing Mitt Romney of the presidency in 2012.
The liberally slanted report reaches so far in it’s attempt to villianize “patriot groups” as radical, hate filled terror cells occupied by crazed “shooters”" entertaining domestic radical-right plots, conspiracies and racist rampages that it even includes quotes from a Virginia Klansman as well as White News Now, a website ran by white supremacist Jamie Kelso.
It also alleges that there have been over 100 acts of violence committed by violent right wing patriot groups since the bombing in Oklahoma City but names just 2 or 3, with the highlight of that sparse sampling the Sikh temple shooting in Wisconsin in which 6 people were murdered by a lone gunman who was reported to be a “neo-nazi.”
And finally in closing his rant, the author reverts again to citing racism towards President Obama coupled with pro-gun insanity for the rise in “the radical right’s growth” – which, in the very next sentence, he renames ever so cleverly to “Patriot Growth.”
It’s a real piece of work, in the true comedic form of the term; so stretched and maligned in it’s flailing assertions that, thankfully, no one is going to take it seriously. It’s credibility is also flawed by what CNN referred to as “unfairly bundling together organizations with vastly different points of view — and painting them all as potentially violent.” CNN then produced the founder of one such group, Linda Hunnicutt of “Granny Warriors“ - which appears on the SPLC list of active “patriots.” Hunnicutt denounced violence and stated very clearly that her and her constituents were only concerned for the well being of the American way of life:
It really makes a person stop and ask themselves, where were all these evil-radical-patriot-terrorist-meanie reports a few years ago when liberals were marching in the streets against a white republican president and insisting that he be tried for treason. Crickets for the liberal extremists, but replace the abortionist’s hoop-shaped knife with a cold beer and a shotgun and all of a sudden we’ve got ourselves a gang of racist, hate filled extremists hell bent on blowing up America.
Look! – there’s a group of the evil, twisted, terror sponsoring bad guys now:
View our related reports:
DHS: Right-wing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment
Latest posts by Ed Brown (see all)
- US Paying $8 Million to Parachute Thousands of Commando Rats into Guam - December 5, 2013
- Truck Containing Cobalt-60 Radioactive Material Stolen in Mexico UPDATED - December 4, 2013
- More Than 2 Months In – Obama Still Hasn’t Enrolled in The Affordable Care Act - December 4, 2013
- Dem Introduces HR 3638 – To Tax Drivers by the Mile & Double the Gas Tax - December 4, 2013
- TSA “Loose Change Act” HR 1095 to Benefit Military & Families at Airports - December 3, 2013
- Here Comes the Obama 3.0 Third Term Rhetoric – Could it Happen? - November 29, 2013
- Obama to Heckler: If I Could Bypass Congress on Immigration I Would VIDEO - November 26, 2013
- House Speaker John Boehner Enrolls in Obamacare - November 25, 2013
- Reid’s Nuclear Option will Keep ObamaCare Alive and Benghazi Covered Up - November 23, 2013
- Pro-Islam/Jihad World History Textbook Will Remain in Florida High Schools - November 21, 2013
- VA Senator Creigh Deeds Severly Injured and His Son Dead Following Altercation - November 19, 2013
- Is Obama Admin “Cheering on Annihilation of Jews” by Softening on Iran Sanctions? - November 18, 2013
- Obamacare Website “Glitch Girl” Crys About Being a Victim of CyberBullying - November 14, 2013
- Obamacare Snags 106,000 New “Not Necessarily Paid” Subscribers in October - November 13, 2013
- Veteran’s Day Tribute to the Men of World War 2′s “Ghost Army” Deception Unit - November 11, 2013
- Sarah Palin Rips War on Christmas by “Church of Big Government” - November 10, 2013
- Senator Ted Cruz Defends His Father on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno – VIDEO - November 9, 2013
- Supreme Court Debating Atheist’s Complaint Of Christian Prayer at Town Meetings - November 7, 2013
- Pro-Gay Workplace ENDA Bill Passes Senate – McCain & Flake Get Onboard - November 6, 2013
- Virginia’s Brutal Battle for Governor: Clinton Liberal Vs. Tea Party Conservative - November 4, 2013