Collin Powell: GOP is Buying Into Nonsense that Demonizes President Obama
Diane Sawyer and George Stephanopoulos of ABC interviewed former Secretary of State Colin Powell during their live coverage of the ceremonial inauguration today and Powell dove head on into blasting the party he once served. He used the occasion and the airtime to slam Republican leaders for “buying into nonsense that demonize[s] the president.” :
“Republicans have to stop buying into things that demonize the president. I mean, why aren’t Republican leaders shouting out about all this birther nonsense and all these other things? They’re silent. They should speak out. This is the kind of intolerance that I’ve been talking about where these idiot presentations continue to be made and you don’t see the senior leadership of the party say, ‘No, that’s wrong.’ In fact, sometimes by not speaking out, they’re encouraging it. And the base keeps buying the stuff. And it’s killing the base of the party. I mean, 26 percent favorability rating for the party right now. It ought to be telling them something. So, instead of attacking me or whoever speaks like I do, look in the mirror and realize, ‘How are we going to win the next election?”
This is typically where I would end this type of article. It speaks for itself and no amount of mental conjuring on my part is going to change any minds – and it’s become painfully obvious that anyone who is even slightly critical of President Obama is going to be tagged as a radical right wing terrorist racists, according to the Department of Homeland Security and now even West Point Military Academy. But someone has got to do what’s necessary to defend our position and it’s not going to be those people in Washington, D.C. No, those are the politically correct versions of conservatives – ALL those people in our nations capital are eating at the Obama buffet and no one is going to properly address Powell’s accusations because it will set them apart and put them on the Obama political hit list. I’m sure Rush and Beck and perhaps Hannity will defend the position so it won’t go unchallenged, but what Powell is doing is, in my opinion, one of the worst injustices a former leader could commit in front of God and everyone – he’s letting his instinctual devotion to his race dictate his political convictions.
I don’t begrudge any race from their day in the sun – we’re all entitled to it. African Americans have fought alongside other races defending this country for the better part of our duration. It breaks my heart the way the current president is exploiting that instinctual desire to promote from within the race, but it’s what’s occurring.
Forty years ago Malcom X warned African Americans against becoming “chumps for the democrat party” and in turn “sell outs to their own race.” Not my words – his. I’ve included a link to that audio/video and manuscript of his speech – which occurred two days prior to Malcom X laying dead with 21 buckshot in his chest.
I understand than many Americans get their political news at 6:30 while rushing to take care of kids and eating dinner, just before collapsing from exhaustion and preparing to do it all again early the next morning. For those people of all races I can offer a semi-pass for indulging ignorance and not digging deeper in order to learn all there is to know about the man they hold in such high regard, but Collin Powell knows better. He’s an educated man who’s been involved in politics for a number of decades and as such has a responsibility to distance himself from the obvious racial favoritism that’s currently being given to this administration.
ALL presidents get their share of criticism and probing from “the opposition” – which is a very key phrase here, because without that opposition a president would be free to do as he pleased. It’s a necessity and to suggest that a man should be above that scrutiny and that those who hold that pressure in place are some sort of evil circus act who enjoy writing fictional novels about Barack Obama for the sake of political gain – is more misguided than I can allow myself to believe in regards to Collin Powell. He knows better and it’s my assertion that he’s fully aware as he stares up into the darkness each night just before falling asleep … that he’s a racist. Supporting a person because of the color of their skin is no less a racist act than not supporting them because of the color of his skin.
I don’t support Barack Obama because he’s done a piss poor job and our country, as well as the world, is full of evidence that supports my “theory.” Hell, this very website is full of such evidence. And yeah, I’m very disappointed that our first African American president wasn’t another MLK,jr. If that was the case I’d be standing in line shoulder to shoulder with my black countrymen pulling the handle for him and enjoying the festivities and the celebrations and looking forward to 4 more years of proper and sound leadership. But I live in reality, not Mr. Roger’s political make believe land.
Where is YOUR reasoning for supporting Obama, Mr. Secretary? Where are your facts and figures which support the notion that President Obama’s first 4 years in office were anywhere near a success? and by the way, “he inherited a huge problem” doesn’t count.
Why do you support Barack Obama so fervently, sir? I challenge you to answer that question. Bring your jobs figures, bring your foreign policy issues reports, bring whatever you have to reinforce WHY you support the President besides the fact that you both share the same olive colored skin and if it’s good enough then I will issue an immediate public apology.
In the absence of those reasons, sir … you’re a racist as well as a sell-out.
Latest posts by Ed Brown (see all)
- Satanists Plan Statue to Counter Oklahoma’s Ten Commandments Monument - December 9, 2013
- Newt Gingrich Defends His Praise of the Late Nelson Mandela - December 8, 2013
- US Paying $8 Million to Parachute Thousands of Commando Rats into Guam - December 5, 2013
- Truck Containing Cobalt-60 Radioactive Material Stolen in Mexico UPDATED - December 4, 2013
- More Than 2 Months In – Obama Still Hasn’t Enrolled in The Affordable Care Act - December 4, 2013
- Dem Introduces HR 3638 – To Tax Drivers by the Mile & Double the Gas Tax - December 4, 2013
- TSA “Loose Change Act” HR 1095 to Benefit Military & Families at Airports - December 3, 2013
- Here Comes the Obama 3.0 Third Term Rhetoric – Could it Happen? - November 29, 2013
- Obama to Heckler: If I Could Bypass Congress on Immigration I Would VIDEO - November 26, 2013
- House Speaker John Boehner Enrolls in Obamacare - November 25, 2013
- Reid’s Nuclear Option will Keep ObamaCare Alive and Benghazi Covered Up - November 23, 2013
- Pro-Islam/Jihad World History Textbook Will Remain in Florida High Schools - November 21, 2013
- VA Senator Creigh Deeds Severly Injured and His Son Dead Following Altercation - November 19, 2013
- Is Obama Admin “Cheering on Annihilation of Jews” by Softening on Iran Sanctions? - November 18, 2013
- Obamacare Website “Glitch Girl” Crys About Being a Victim of CyberBullying - November 14, 2013
- Obamacare Snags 106,000 New “Not Necessarily Paid” Subscribers in October - November 13, 2013
- Veteran’s Day Tribute to the Men of World War 2′s “Ghost Army” Deception Unit - November 11, 2013
- Sarah Palin Rips War on Christmas by “Church of Big Government” - November 10, 2013
- Senator Ted Cruz Defends His Father on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno – VIDEO - November 9, 2013
- Supreme Court Debating Atheist’s Complaint Of Christian Prayer at Town Meetings - November 7, 2013