Obama Touts Executive Action On Gun Control – Rep Threatens Impeachment
Delivering his final press conference as a first term president, today Barack Obama didn’t stutter when he casually sailed through his promise of delivering executive action in order to circumvent congress and avoid that looming showdown:
My understanding is the vice president’s going to provide a range of steps that we can take to reduce gun violence. Some of them will require legislation, some of them I can accomplish through executive action. And so I will be reviewing those today, and as I said, I will speak in more detail to what we’re going to go ahead and propose later in the week. But I’m confident that there are some steps that we can take that don’t require legislation and that are within my authority as president, and where you get a step that, has the opportunity to reduce the possibility of gun violence, then I want to go ahead and take it.
But one congressman has stepped forth from the shadows of the 113th congress and is threatening impeachment in the event that the president goes forward with strict new gun control measures via his executive powers. Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX) is the challenger and he cometh, delivering some words that are seldom strung together in similar fashion anywhere in Washington:
“I will seek to thwart this action by any means necessary, including but not limited to eliminating funding for implementation, defunding the White House, and even filing articles of impeachment. Any proposal to abuse executive power and infringe upon gun rights must be repelled with the stiffest legislative force possible. Under no circumstances whatsoever may the government take any action that disarms any peaceable person — much less without due process through an executive declaration without a vote of Congress or a ruling of a court. If the president is allowed to suspend constitutional rights on his own personal whims, our free republic has effectively ceased to exist.”
Stockman’s remarks, considering the Democrat stronghold in the Senate, most likely represent a bluff on his part as well as on behalf of a very befuddled congress which has been reeling from one mainstream-media-democrat conceived disaster after another since Barack Obama’s reelection in November.
Expect Obama to shove as much as he can past congress using his ink pen, including new import regulations and new processes for state and local authorities to collaborate systems in an attempt to track gun sales and owners. But any real new legislation in regards to gun control or the banning of various types of weapons must go through congress first. By nature, the Executive Order is not intended to implement new laws/legislation or regulations.
The very first presidential executive order was a proclamation signed by George Washington on April 22, 1793 and he took that privilege – which forbade American Citizens from interfering with the war between England and France – while congress was out of session.
Latest posts by Ed Brown (see all)
- US Paying $8 Million to Parachute Thousands of Commando Rats into Guam - December 5, 2013
- Truck Containing Cobalt-60 Radioactive Material Stolen in Mexico UPDATED - December 4, 2013
- More Than 2 Months In – Obama Still Hasn’t Enrolled in The Affordable Care Act - December 4, 2013
- Dem Introduces HR 3638 – To Tax Drivers by the Mile & Double the Gas Tax - December 4, 2013
- TSA “Loose Change Act” HR 1095 to Benefit Military & Families at Airports - December 3, 2013
- Here Comes the Obama 3.0 Third Term Rhetoric – Could it Happen? - November 29, 2013
- Obama to Heckler: If I Could Bypass Congress on Immigration I Would VIDEO - November 26, 2013
- House Speaker John Boehner Enrolls in Obamacare - November 25, 2013
- Reid’s Nuclear Option will Keep ObamaCare Alive and Benghazi Covered Up - November 23, 2013
- Pro-Islam/Jihad World History Textbook Will Remain in Florida High Schools - November 21, 2013
- VA Senator Creigh Deeds Severly Injured and His Son Dead Following Altercation - November 19, 2013
- Is Obama Admin “Cheering on Annihilation of Jews” by Softening on Iran Sanctions? - November 18, 2013
- Obamacare Website “Glitch Girl” Crys About Being a Victim of CyberBullying - November 14, 2013
- Obamacare Snags 106,000 New “Not Necessarily Paid” Subscribers in October - November 13, 2013
- Veteran’s Day Tribute to the Men of World War 2′s “Ghost Army” Deception Unit - November 11, 2013
- Sarah Palin Rips War on Christmas by “Church of Big Government” - November 10, 2013
- Senator Ted Cruz Defends His Father on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno – VIDEO - November 9, 2013
- Supreme Court Debating Atheist’s Complaint Of Christian Prayer at Town Meetings - November 7, 2013
- Pro-Gay Workplace ENDA Bill Passes Senate – McCain & Flake Get Onboard - November 6, 2013
- Virginia’s Brutal Battle for Governor: Clinton Liberal Vs. Tea Party Conservative - November 4, 2013