Leon Panetta: U.S. Troops Have Been Deployed to Jordan-Syria Border
U.S. troops totaling 150 have been sent to the Jordan-Syrian border according to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta. Speaking at a NATO conference of defense ministers in Brussels, Panetta said that their mission is to build a central HQ in Jordan and reinforce it’s military capabilities in the event that violence escalates along the border with Syria.
Panetta told attendees that the United States wanted to “build a headquarters there (in Jordan) and to insure that we make the relationship between the United States and Jordan a strong one, so that we can deal with all of the possible consequences of what’s happening in Syria.”
The forces in Jordan are operating from a joint U.S.-Jordanian military center north of Amman.
Washington has been working with Jordan to monitor chemical and biological weapons sites in Syria and to help with the growing number of Syrian refugees.
Panetta’s announcement came after days of shelling between Turkey and Syria which many feel is an indication that civil war is becoming a regional conflict.
Latest posts by Ed Brown (see all)
- Newt Gingrich Defends His Praise of the Late Nelson Mandela - December 8, 2013
- US Paying $8 Million to Parachute Thousands of Commando Rats into Guam - December 5, 2013
- Truck Containing Cobalt-60 Radioactive Material Stolen in Mexico UPDATED - December 4, 2013
- More Than 2 Months In – Obama Still Hasn’t Enrolled in The Affordable Care Act - December 4, 2013
- Dem Introduces HR 3638 – To Tax Drivers by the Mile & Double the Gas Tax - December 4, 2013
- TSA “Loose Change Act” HR 1095 to Benefit Military & Families at Airports - December 3, 2013
- Here Comes the Obama 3.0 Third Term Rhetoric – Could it Happen? - November 29, 2013
- Obama to Heckler: If I Could Bypass Congress on Immigration I Would VIDEO - November 26, 2013
- House Speaker John Boehner Enrolls in Obamacare - November 25, 2013
- Reid’s Nuclear Option will Keep ObamaCare Alive and Benghazi Covered Up - November 23, 2013
- Pro-Islam/Jihad World History Textbook Will Remain in Florida High Schools - November 21, 2013
- VA Senator Creigh Deeds Severly Injured and His Son Dead Following Altercation - November 19, 2013
- Is Obama Admin “Cheering on Annihilation of Jews” by Softening on Iran Sanctions? - November 18, 2013
- Obamacare Website “Glitch Girl” Crys About Being a Victim of CyberBullying - November 14, 2013
- Obamacare Snags 106,000 New “Not Necessarily Paid” Subscribers in October - November 13, 2013
- Veteran’s Day Tribute to the Men of World War 2′s “Ghost Army” Deception Unit - November 11, 2013
- Sarah Palin Rips War on Christmas by “Church of Big Government” - November 10, 2013
- Senator Ted Cruz Defends His Father on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno – VIDEO - November 9, 2013
- Supreme Court Debating Atheist’s Complaint Of Christian Prayer at Town Meetings - November 7, 2013
- Pro-Gay Workplace ENDA Bill Passes Senate – McCain & Flake Get Onboard - November 6, 2013