Constitution Party Nominates Virgil Goode for President
Former U.S. Representative Virgil Goode of Virginia received the presidential nomination of the Constitution Party (CP) Saturday at the party’s National Convention in Nashville. He was selected on the first ballot over former Savannah State football coach Robby Wells and the 2008 CP Vice presidential nominee Darrell Castle, who announced his candidacy Friday. Goode picked outgoing CP National Chairman Jim Clymer as his running mate.
Goode served in the Virginia State Senate for twenty-three years before being elected to represent Virginia’s Fifth U.S. congressional district as a Democrat in 1996. He was re-elected two years later, and left the Democratic Party before his second re-election campaign in 2000, when he ran as an Independent. He joined the Republican Party ahead of the 2002 election, and was re-elected three additional times until his defeat in 2008. Since then, Goode has joined the Constitution Party, and has served on its executive committee. In February, he announced his intentions to seek the party’s presidential nomination.
At the convention, Goode won a total of 203 out of the 403 votes cast while Castle received 120 and Wells secured 58. Candidates Susan Ducey and Laurie Roth received 15 and 6 votes, respectively. Had Goode received two less votes, the nomination would have gone to a second ballot.
The Constitution Party was founded in 1991 as the U.S. Taxpayers Party, and changed to its current name eight years later. The party advocates states’ rights, gun rights, limited government, protectionism, and non-interventionism. It strongly opposes abortion and illegal immigration. In terms of voter registration, it is the third largest U.S. political party with 367,000 members. Pastor Chuck Baldwin won the party’s 2008 presidential nomination and appeared on 37 state ballots, receiving 199,314 votes or 0.15 percent.
- “Virgil Goode Wins Constitution Party Nomination on First Ballot, Picks VP Choice” — Independent Political Report, April 21, 2012
- Austin Cassidy. “Constitution Party Picks Ex-Congressman to Top Ticket” — Uncovered Politics, April 21, 2012
- Austin Cassidy. “Castle Among Six Candidates to Seek Constitution Party Nomination” — Uncovered Politics, April 20, 2012
- Former 6 Term Congressman Virgil Goode has been declared Constitution Party Presidential Candidate (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Interview with Constitution Party Presidential Candidate JL Mealer (alakhtal.wordpress.com)
Latest posts by Ed Brown (see all)
- House Passes ‘Gabriella Miller’ Kids Cancer Bill – Senate Expected to Snub - December 11, 2013
- NC Family Files Suit Against Gun Manufacturer Remington for Deadly Misfire - December 10, 2013
- Satanists Plan Statue to Counter Oklahoma’s Ten Commandments Monument - December 9, 2013
- Newt Gingrich Defends His Praise of the Late Nelson Mandela - December 8, 2013
- US Paying $8 Million to Parachute Thousands of Commando Rats into Guam - December 5, 2013
- Truck Containing Cobalt-60 Radioactive Material Stolen in Mexico UPDATED - December 4, 2013
- More Than 2 Months In – Obama Still Hasn’t Enrolled in The Affordable Care Act - December 4, 2013
- Dem Introduces HR 3638 – To Tax Drivers by the Mile & Double the Gas Tax - December 4, 2013
- TSA “Loose Change Act” HR 1095 to Benefit Military & Families at Airports - December 3, 2013
- Here Comes the Obama 3.0 Third Term Rhetoric – Could it Happen? - November 29, 2013
- Obama to Heckler: If I Could Bypass Congress on Immigration I Would VIDEO - November 26, 2013
- House Speaker John Boehner Enrolls in Obamacare - November 25, 2013
- Reid’s Nuclear Option will Keep ObamaCare Alive and Benghazi Covered Up - November 23, 2013
- Pro-Islam/Jihad World History Textbook Will Remain in Florida High Schools - November 21, 2013
- VA Senator Creigh Deeds Severly Injured and His Son Dead Following Altercation - November 19, 2013
- Is Obama Admin “Cheering on Annihilation of Jews” by Softening on Iran Sanctions? - November 18, 2013
- Obamacare Website “Glitch Girl” Crys About Being a Victim of CyberBullying - November 14, 2013
- Obamacare Snags 106,000 New “Not Necessarily Paid” Subscribers in October - November 13, 2013
- Veteran’s Day Tribute to the Men of World War 2′s “Ghost Army” Deception Unit - November 11, 2013
- Sarah Palin Rips War on Christmas by “Church of Big Government” - November 10, 2013